cochran scottish clan

Electric Scotland Shopping Mall. Instead he preferred the likes of architects, tradesmen and musicians as his closest companions. How long have you been involved in the Clan and in what capacity? The family continued to prosper, but there came a time when it almost died out. Address: 5136 W. Wren Ct., Visalia, CA 93291, "Virtute et Labor | By Valor and Exertion". The Gathering 2009 was the first large Gathering of Clan Cochrane and we hope to do that again in 2014. The Clan Cochrane Society is a growing and active organization with world-wide membership. A lot of new member meet us at festivals but the web site and face book page are starting to make more contacts. [4], In Ireland the surname was adopted as an Anglicisation of the surnames Cogarin and Mac Cogarin, meaning respectively the descendant or the son of Cogarn (probably a diminutive of cogar "confidant").[5]. '//www.googletagmanager.com/gtm.js?id='+i+dl;f.parentNode.insertBefore(j,f); ScotClans is a family run business based in Leith, Edinburgh in Sunny (sometimes) Scotland. his father Cochrane. The Current seat of the clan is Lochnell Castle built by the Campbells of Lochnell. You. But their Lordships were not kidding and furthermore warned Cochrane that he had been abusing his power for far too long and was now about to be punished. var elem = document.createElement('script'); (function(w,d,s,l,i){w[l]=w[l]||[];w[l].push({'gtm.start': Another 116 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1482, 1600, 1669, 1605, 1685, 1707, 1669, 1683, 1690, 1691, 1778, 1659, 1717, 1708 and 1713 are included under the topic Early Cochran History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible. elem.src = (document.location.protocol == "https:" ? his father his father Befitting a family with such strong naval tradition, a family legend has it that the Cochrane ancestry goes back to a Viking invader who settled in Renfrewshire sometime between the 8th and 10th centuries. It was meant to be a joke but those words came back to haunt him. The popular belief, and one supported by many clansmen is that they began life in an area called Coueran or Coveran, which was in modern-day county of Renfrewshire, near the bustling town of Paisley. $29.99. There are many references to clans within the hundreds of historical pages on our site. The Clans motto is Virtute Et Labore which means by valour and exertion, and the clans crest features a horse walking, with the right front foot raised. Early immigrants include: The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Based in the USA, with branches in Canada and around the world, Clan Cochrane is the international hub of the Cochrane family. Motto: Virtue Et Labore (By valour and exertion), Clan Chief: The Rt. Right in North America now we rely on the State Commissioners to organize events in their areas but we hope to have an AGM in 2013. (function() { Our Secretary/ Historian / Genealogist Cynthia Cochran Scheuer- Jones has been a strong rock through the changes of the last years. with any of these companies then you can create an account 1548 14 July 1603 What I believe is that his wife Mary Jane Coughran BIRTH 1809 Fintona, Tyrone, Northern Ireland and DEATH 21 JAN 1905 Candelo, NSW, AUSTRALIA is the daughter of David A Coughran and Elizabeth Betsy Cotter. Buy Cochran Clan Scottish Name Scotland Flag T-Shirt: Shop top fashion brands T-Shirts at Amazon.com FREE DELIVERY and Returns possible on eligible purchases Amazon.com: Cochran Clan Scottish Name Scotland Flag T-Shirt : Clothing, Shoes & Jewelry her father (800) 368-8633 sales@usakilts.com. }; This resulted in near anarchy when farmers refused to sell their produce for the new money. Scottish Clan Crest Kilt Pins. // ]]>. // Replace PAGE_URL with your page's canonical URL variable BIRTH 1808 Fintona, County Tyrone, Northern Ireland and DEATH 15 OCT 1882 Mount Terry, Albion Park, New South Wales, Australia. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Registrations submitted after the August 1, 2022 deadline will not be accepted. pageTracker._trackPageview(); We had a very full Clan Cochrane and Celtic music year with many wonderful highlights. @2020 Clan Cochrane Society of North America. However, the first contemporary record of the clan chiefs is in the thirteenth century. James Cochrane, an Ulsterman, was a 19th-century entrepreneur who helped the Irish whiskey Bushmills and the Old Bushmills Distillery gain worldwide popularity. Tom Cochran Colorado Commissioner, Design a site like this with WordPress.com, Visiting Our Past: Theres more to WNCs Scots than just the Highland Games, Colorado Scottish Festival and Rocky Mountain. Agnes Cochrane of Kirkcudbright Scotland and New York City. A lot of genealogy sites claim they were also Williams parents. This was the name given to a collection of agreements, laid out on four rolls of parchment, which King Edward the first of England imposed on Scottish nobility and land-owners in return for deciding who should be the next king of Scotland. Andrew Cochrane entered the tea trade early 1880s & by 1914 had a chain of nearly 100 grocery shops in & around the City of Glasgow. ScotClans fully supports the clan heritage industry and has many close connections with clan and Scottish societies worldwide as well as Visit Scotland. his father '&l='+l:'';j.async=true;j.src= out our Genealogy Advice Page, Check * What kinds of Clan-related events do members participate in? This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Cochran research. $49.99. We look forward to year two. his father Spaces will be assigned by the date and timestamp of your online registration. /* Converted prices are advisory, at today's rates. Rodger is a published author on clan histories and Amanda is a fully trained Kilt-maker. The name Cochrane may be the combination of two Gaelic words, meaning 'the roar of the battle' or 'battle-cry'. his father In the United States, Cochranes arrived amongst the Ulster-Scots immigrants to the British North American colonies of New Hampshire and Pennsylvania. By using this website you automatically accept. I know he was William James Cochrane, In 1262 Waldenus de Coveran was a witness to a document which confirmed the transfer of land from Dughall MacSuibhne (MacSween) to Walter Stewart, the Earl of Menteith. cannot be used without permission! Spaces will be assigned by the date and timestamp of your online registration. Emigration to New Zealand followed in the footsteps of the European explorers, such as Captain Cook (1769-70): first came sealers, whalers, missionaries, and traders. james robert Cochran Then, when I asked why there was no representative of the Clan at the Colorado Festivals I was told we had no commissioner, so would I be interested? site devoted to your clan or know of a clan event then use our "Contact Us" Link (on the top menu above) to get in touch.]. Though itall we enjoyed sharing Scottish and Irish tunes with audiences young and old. })(window,document,'script','dataLayer','GTM-WMHF3F9'); We want to start having yearly AGMs. The 2022 Longs Peak Scottish Irish Highland Festival is preparing for the 46th Annual Festival. with Disqus. I hope to find some distant Cochrans out there. Virtute et labore, a Latin phrase meaning "by valour and exertion". The first chief of the clan is believed to be William Cochrane, 1st Earl of Dundonald. In July 1484 Scotlands nobility held a secret meeting to agree a way of ridding the country of the kings favourites. his father Cocbrane answered, The Earl of Mar, and was allowed to enter. The estate passed to his brother, Sir William Cochrane of Cowdon, who in 1647 became Lord Cochrane of Ochiltree. His son William Cochrane, the second chief of the Clan, also rendered homage to King Edward I in 1296. Cochrane was stunned by this behaviour and asked his assailants if they were jesting. Search results for: 'cochran' Tartan / Clan. or an account you already have with Google, Twitter, The Standard Airmail option has been removed temporarily. This reduced the currencys value, but Cochrane produced a proclamation instructing the populace that this new coin was equal in value to the old silver coin. My Cart (0) Account. Supporting ScotClans means that you are supporting the wider clan network as much of our time goes into working with societies and improving the quality of information on the clans. s.setAttribute('data-timestamp', +new Date()); Essential Tartan Sash A massive array of clan, district & Irish mediumweight tartans to choose from. [CDATA[ his father He was sent to solicit the assistance of foreign princes, and later by Charles the Second to run his embassy in Poland. The tickets that are included in the tent fee. Clan Cochrane in North America. Cochrane is a surname with multiple independent origins, two Scottish and one Irish. In 1592 William Cochrane built Cochrane Tower near Johnstone, Renfrewshire. Hon. Would like to fill in our familys history, we have been through a whole lot, I think we have an interesting timeline here in Georgia, dont want us to be forgotten down here ahah! Clan Cochrane Coat of Arms A note on Coats of Arms: Under Scottish heraldic law a coat of arms is awarded to an individual (with the exception of civic or corporate arms) . John Lennox Lord Maxwell THE FESTIVAL WILL NOT MAILANY CLAN PACKETSOUT THIS YEAR. $179.99. He became the first Earl of Dundonald and hereditary chief of Clan Cochrane. var disqus_config = function () { If you have any questions, feel free to contact us. I have tried (without success so far) to find the original of this photo, because it's the only one I've seen of my ggg- grandmother, Catherine Murphy Cochran. 1806), aged 24, English brick maker who was convicted in Middlesex. s.src = 'https://escotland.disqus.com/embed.js'; Reminder: There will be a charge for camping this year. The land in question included Skipness Castle on the east side of the Kintyre Peninsula near the village of Skipness, Killislate and the parish of Kilcalmonell. display until the moderator has approved your comment. Dr. James Seldon Cochran Land was often available and the American War of Independence allowed Scots an opportunity to solidify their independence from the English crown. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto. The business was started by Rodger and Amanda Moffet and is ably assisted by Rowan and Harvey and Floyd the dog. WebCochrane Clan Crest: A Horse passant argent. Our usual Mix of Poetry, Music, food (especially haggis) and Scottish country dance was made even more special by our special guests Immediate Past President of the Colorado Saint Andrews Society, Timm Herrod and his wife Jennifer. One discount per item, best discount applies. Modern. The chiefs of the Clan Cunningham supported Robert the Bruce during the Wars of Scottish Independence. He is my 11th great grandfather. "pixel_id":"730850-WMHF3F9-132469" * PLATFORM OR CMS. pretty gates for cochrane park, Alva,clackmannanshire,scotland, Cochrane Family Crest / Cochrane Coat of Arms, Paisley, Scotland -- where Cochrans came from. We look forward to keep it all going into the next year. Michael Cochran's house in Cochran's Mills near Apollo, PA. WebWelcome! I am the last living daughter of Robert Earl CochranI have been told that we were related to Mary Queen of Scots and that we were from the isle of Skye.I have also been told that we are or were related to Kaiser Wilhelm through my grand mothers side (Von Fisher).no idea if this is true however my father was the spitting image of the Kaiser and my son the spitting image of his great grandson so who knows. Similarly coch ran could also relate to the words battle cry or the roar of battle. In Ireland, the surname Cochrane is especially concentrated in the northern province of Ulster where it was introduced by Protestant Scots settlers during the Plantation period of the 17th century. The young man on the left may well be Robert Scott Cochran, Michael's oldest son. */ Cochrane Clan. Cochrane Clan Motto: Virtute Et Labore (By valour and exertion). Cochrane Clan History: The surname derives from the lands of Cochrane ( Old Coueran) in Paisley, Renfrewshire, although there is an apocryphal legend that it originates from two Gaelic words which, when translated into English, mean 'the roar of the battle.'. One possibility is that it is derived from the Welsh coch meaning "red"; however this theory is not supported by the early spelling of the name Coueran. Ancient. Mr. William Cochran, (Cochrane), (b. [CDATA[ Note: we charge in UK Pounds. In the very rare cases this happens we cover the cost of replacing your order. Our current Chief Douglas Dundonald the 15th Earl of Dundonald is a direct descendant. By the thirteenth century the family, still known as Coveran, was undoubtedly one of the more prominent in the region. (d.head || d.body).appendChild(s); Our final Festival this took place in Estes Park Colorado in Sept. The Longs Peak Scottish/Irish Festival . WebScottish History of The Cochran Family In the beginning There are several theories surrounding the origin of the Cochrane clan. It was a position which opened him up to all sorts of bribes and its understood he helped himself to a great many. We are delighted to offer a range of products and resources for the The Cochran Family including: 106 tartan products available in Cochran family tartans. The festival will have allclan ticket packages will ready for pick up on Thursday, September 9. Mr. Timothy Cochran who was convicted in Middlesex. By 1297 the family name had changed to Cochran and Baron William de Cochran was a signatory on King Edwards Ragman Rolls. elem.async = true; The society also organizes clan events and trips, sells clan specific merchandise and produces a quarterly newsletter that is available to its members. He and his wife Margaret had only one child, a daughter, Elizabeth. Our objectives are to extend the links of kinship and friendship between Cochranes, wherever they may be, and to provide a focal point for all members of the Clan and interested visitors who wish to learn more of our history and activities. his father This place name is of uncertain derivation, perhaps stemming from the Welsh word "coch," meaning "red.". And our membership is up. his father Cameron Micheal Cochran Personalize it with photos & text or purchase as is! Headquartered in Spokane, Washington with offices One day he decided that the silver coin of the realm should be mixed with brass and lead. Later Cochranes would arrive from Scotland and England. Please Note: International Standard Airmail has temporarily been suspended due to Royal Mail experiencing severe disruption to its international export services following a cyber incident. his father When I became involved we had shrunk to very few members with only 4 or 5 state commissioners. his father In 2008 I was appointed to the newly created position of President under the High Commissioner and headed up the organization of Clan Cochranes presence at the Gathering 2009. Was hoping to get further information! WebCochrane & Company is one of the premier General Agents in the West, and licensed in all 50 states with a national footprint. James Stewart 5th High Steward Stewart of Dundonald and 5th High Steward of Scotland Great grandson of General Richard Ellis Cochran. There is no such thing as a family coat of arms The arms represented below are his father COICHRAINE CAWCHRIN COCHROUNE COACHRIN COCHREN COCHREIN COCHRANE COHERN Claymore Imports has a variety of clan badges, keychains, sporrans, and kilt accessories for Scots, Irishmen, and Welshmen. Hello I am in Australia and have been trying to trace my 3rd Great Grandfathers origins. /** The castle was constucted by Robert Cochrane in the 15th century. Names associated with the clan: COLQUHRAN COLQUHERAN COICHRAN The year started with our Burns Night Dinner in early February. Free Shipping! There are no remains of this castle at the site but a monument to commemorate the castle was built in 1896. his father his father 5 out of 5 stars (3,908) $ 169.98. var scpt = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; Robert was born in Scotland and educated in Italy and rose to become one of fifteenth century Scotlands most eminent architects. WebCochrane is a surname with multiple independent origins, two Scottish and one Irish. Cochrane heard about the get-together at the church in Lauder and in his arrogant manner marched up to the front door and insisted on being allowed in. The Cochranes took as their heraldic beast a boar. Price Starts At. his father 1775), aged 25, English shoe maker who was convicted in Middlesex. Cochran has appeared as Cochrane, Cochran, Cocrane, Cocran, Cochren, Cockram, Cockran, Cockren and many more. Fledaldus Flaald Senescal De Dol, Senescal De Dol HRH Alexander Stewart 4th High Steward of Scotland, 4Th High Steward $139.99. Cochrane used to be listed as a sept of Clan Donalds but no longer is. comments powered by Disqus. COWRAN COUGHRAN, [We're always looking for more information At that point a deputation from the church went to the nearby camp of King James and snatched away his other cronies, whom they despised. I know my heritage is largely Scottish so think William could have Scottish parents. Walter 3rd High Steward of Scotland Stewart (born FitzAlan), 3rd High Steward of Scotland, 3rd High Steward Scotland $29.99. Walter fitz alan 1st Great Stewart of Scotland, 1st Great Stewart You must go through the festival office to make reservations.ALL Additional Tickets, camping spaces, and Non-competing dog tags MUST be purchased at: www.scotfest.com or by calling the Festival Office at 970-586-6308. The name appears in documents in the 1200s and the first Cochrane raised to the peerage was William Cochrane in 1669 for his support of Charles II. alan Fitz Flaald [3], In Scotland during the 18th century, the surname was used as a Lowland adaptation of the Scottish Gaelic Maceachrain. Scotland Castles Scottish Castles Kilmarnock England Ireland The Loch Castle Ruins Islay Abandoned */ He was employed by James the Third to design and erect several royal buildings and such were his skills and personality that he soon became a firm favourite of the king. John C Cochran Cochrane sported a black velvet riding suit with a gold chain round his neck and a golden bugle horn hanging from his side. Scotland's Classified Directory, The I have been interested in my Scottish roots since I was a child. } catch(err) {}. We met Cochranes from all over the world. WebDec 4, 2016 - Explore Alisa Keeling's board "Cochrane clan" on Pinterest. Choose a badge or pendant for everyday wear. window.onload = function(){document.getElementById("printbtn").style.visibility = "visible"}; James Hugh Cochran, Sr. Support Clan Cochrane by visiting and purchasing items from our online store! // Replace PAGE_IDENTIFIER with your page's unique identifier variable Check out our Genealogy Advice Page. After fourteen years of hosting this event we have it down pretty well and it has become an event many people in the community look forward to. Check out your Tartan in our Tartan Centre. "https://secure" : "http://edge") + ".quantserve.com/quant.js"; And magazine listings also generate interest. After the 14th Earl met Michael Cochrane, the former High commissioner and gave him the charge of establishing the clan organization here. Walter Thomas (6th High Stewart Of Scotland) UNKNOWN See more ideas about cochrane, clan, scottish heritage. What does the Clan have planned for the years to come? his father $279.99. WebCOCHRANE: Tradition traces the Cochrane ancestry to a Viking warrior who settled in Renfrewshire where his descendants took their name from the lands of Cochrane near The surname Cochran was first found in Renfrewshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Rinn Fri), a historic county of Scotland, today encompassing the Council Areas of Renfrew, East Renfrewshire, and Iverclyde, in the Strathclyde region of southwestern Scotland, where the first record of the name was Search for products or designs See all results for "" Search results for "" Search results for "" in See All Results Sign in Shopping Cart (0 items) View Cart (0 items) 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed The Strathclyde-Briton people of ancient Scotland were the first to use the name Cochran. Alan Stewart, 2nd Fitzwalter Early recorded bearers of the surname are Waldeve de Coueran in 1262; William de Coughran in 1296; and Robert de Cochrane in about 1360. I plan on visiting Ireland and Scotland this coming Spring and am hoping to learn more about Clan Cochran(e). Wool Tartan Pocket Square in Cochrane Ancient Tartan, Pure Wool Golf Cap in Cochrane Ancient Tartan, Clan Crest Pewter Kilt Pin with Cochrane Crest, Cochrane Clan Crest Quaich with Gold Trim, Cochrane Clan Crest Ladies Ouline T-Shirt, Cochrane Clan Crest Embroidered Fleece Jacket, Cochrane Clan Crest Embroidered Rugby Shirt, kiltmakery.com - our Kilt site and Educational site, tartanshop.com - our site specialising in tartan. Shop Scottish Clan Cochrane Tartan Plaid Fabric created by thecelticflame. Cochranes are a lowland clan originating in the lands around Paisley, Scotland. He was accompanied by a guard of three hundred armed men, all dressed in his livery of white with black facings. In Scotland, Cochrane is found in high frequency in the counties of South Lanarkshire, West Lothian and in Renfrewshire. As soon as he was inside he was attacked by a couple of Lords, one who grabbed the gold chain and pulled it off his neck and another who ripped off his bugle horn. WebSt. The very first Coveran is said to be a Norse warrior who arrived in Scotland in the ninth century with his countrymen to pillage and plunder the west coast but decided to settle there. All comments are moderated so they won't John Cochran In 1576 William Cochrane of that Ilk was granted a charter by Queen Mary confirming his ownership of the lands of Cochran. your father However, the festival feels that Clans who support the event by returning year after year should be given an opportunity to reserve the space they had the prior year. The surname Cochrane may have been derived from a place named the Lowlands of Cochrane, which were located in Renfrewshire. There have been ups and downs. }); Search just our There are several theories surrounding the origin of the Cochrane clan. In May 1669 he was elevated again and became the Earl of Dundonald, firmly establishing the Cochranes at the top end of Scotlands nobility. on your clan. We now have 9 State Commissioners and may add 2 more this spring. [7][8] Many Cochranes lived in Winedham New Hampshire. William de Coughran of Lanark swore an oath of allegiance to King Edward I of England during his short conquest of Scotland in 1296. Clan Cochrane in North America has been around for about 20 years. Touch device users, explore by touch or with swipe gestures. Over the centuries the Cochranes have provided a large number of colourful characters, who left their mark on history. Scottish Clan Crest Officer's Sgian Dubh. Always great music and company and the Saturday Morning Parade through Downtown Estes is a unique experience thats always fun. Cochrane Clan History: The surname derives from the lands of Before that time, scribes spelled according to sound, often varying the spelling of name within a single document. the Coat of Arms of the Earl of Dundonald, head of Clan Cochrane. The popular belief, and one supported by Stephen Cochran However he stipulated that her eventual husband would assume the name Cochrane. It is also possible the name is derived from the Welsh word "cywrain", which means "skilled". Some of the earliest Cochranes in the United States came from County Antrim, Northern Ireland, in the early 18th century after obtaining a land grant from the Governor of Massachusetts. WebScotClans is a family run business based in Leith, Edinburgh in Sunny (sometimes) Scotland. We use cookies to enhance your user experience. Walter Stewart was the third son of the Lord High Steward of Scotland, who was the personal representative of the King of Scotland and, as such one of the most powerful men in the land. his father Cochrane felt he was untouchable and soon began to extend his power even further. The year started with our Burns Night Dinner in early February. This Paper Collage item is sold by celticstudio. This comment system It is believed that the ancestry of the clan began in the ninth century with a viking warrior who decided to settle in Scotland. The Earl of Dundonald. See more ideas about cochrane, clan, scottish heritage. The business was started by Rodger and Amanda Moffet and is ably assisted As the persecution of Clan families continued, they sailed for North America in increasing numbers. george-cochrane-and-his-family-courtesy-of-stuart-roxburgh. The surname Cochran was first found in Renfrewshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Rinn Fri), a historic county of Scotland, today encompassing the Council Areas of Renfrew, East Renfrewshire, and Iverclyde, in the Strathclyde region of southwestern Scotland, where the first record of the name was Waldeve de Coueran, who was witness to a charter issued by Dugal, son of Syfyn, to Walter Stewart, fifth Earl of Menteith, regarding several lands in Kintyre. Nov 6, 2016 - Explore Shannon Wheeler's board "Clan Cochrane" on Pinterest. I think the org Clan Cochrane of North America may have an extensive tree dating back to the earliest known Cochran(e). 3 Review(s) View Product. Scottish Clan Crest Semi Dress Sporran. John of that Ilk Earl Paisley Cochran, II Some of the Cochran family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.Another 31 words (2 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible. //

Golden View Elementary School Calendar, Mifflin County School Board Meeting, Robert Brian Clark Obituary, Property Guys Antigonish, Articles C