what years did it snow in houston

Potted plants with crotons and other tender vegetation moved into our garage and covered with sheets for added insulation there. The 1970s had some pretty amazing winters across the United States, and for Houston this was almost certainly the peak. BELIEVE ITSNOW IN HOUSTON, TEXAS and quite an accumulation considering the place! Ice storms and snowstorms could take up their own special post! The news channels on television this evening broadcast snow photos sent in from viewers. I agree with you that the snow is spectacularly beautiful when new and unsullied by footprints, car tracks, etc. If that does verify, it will be our coldest 5 day stretch of weather since 1983. Glad to know it is over. It is a rarity, that's for sure! Here's my front fl. The citys December snowfall average is 11.5 inches and the snowiest Christmas on record occurred in 1945 with a snowfall total of 9.6 inches. :-). For the first time ever, some areas experienced their first white Christmas. 1.) A roundup of photographic proof that Houston can indeed become a winter wonderland (or, you know, a frozen hell-scape.) Mr. Snowman has most of the snow along with the fallen leaves, twigs, and anything else that happened to be on the ground. In that case you would love our northern states in the wintertime! Azalea trail down here is in early March. Example video title will go here for this video. Quite the welcome. While this weekend's winter storm in Texas might not dump the white stuff on the Bayou City, the city is no stranger to dealing with copious amounts of snow. Coldest temperature: 21 on 2/2 Of course after many months, we also looked forward to Spring. Still it was the wet snow kind due to time of year and this is the best type to make a snowman. There were more incidences of snow in the 1980s on average than any other decade recorded, but the 2000s also witnessed more frequent and record-breaking snows. Fer cryin out loud dude, the name on the building was right across the street! Valentine's Day in 1895 Houston was hit with 20 inches of snow on Feb. 14 and 15. Was it the large flaked heavy snow as we had in Houston? More background here: https://www.weather.gov/hgx/office. I have pictures of my mom's blooming rose bushes with snow on them. 2023 The Arena Media Brands, LLC and respective content providers on this website. In addition to Texas, state records still stand or are shared today from this cold snap in Nebraska, Ohio, Louisiana, and Florida. A weather service observation station in Rio Grande Village in Texas recorded a high temperature of 94 degrees on Saturday, Christmas Day. Feb. 15, 2021. One photo showed two children with upraised faces, their mouths open and tongues catching the large snowflakes. The first ones are always excitingbut like you saidit gets old after a while dealing with the effects of the snow and ice. My Dad would shovel a large circle on the frozen lake where my grandmother lived, and we would all go ice skating several times in the winter. My first white Christmas was on Dec. 25, 2004, when I was visiting my mom in South Central Texas (her house is about the halfway point between San Antonio and Corpus). (living in Houston thats a good thing), Holy Cow! The nurseries should be doing a brisk business again this spring when people will be replacing lost plants. We didn't get any snow this year and the winter has been quite mild compared to recent years. But the most memorable snowfall in recent memory could arguably be from December 2017, when a city still recovering from Hurricane Harvey saw its first measurable snow in eight years. We don't get snow in Orlando. It does seem that we go from HOT, HOT, HOT to COLD, COLD, COLD these days with little in between. On December 22 1929, 2.5 inches of snow fell in Houston. While this weekend's winter storm in Texas might not dump the white stuff on the Bayou City, the city is no stranger to dealing with copious amounts of snow. Much of Texas is under a winter storm warning. Thanks for your comment. Winter is also the driest part of the year for Houston. What year was 80 degrees on Christmas Day? And all this makes him sad, very, very sad.. over the course of the month. If and when it snows here it never lasts long! 3.) My Dad would have to lift the second part of the body onto the first giant ball and then hoist the head on top. Remember the 1997 ice storm? The impact of Texas's destructive winter storm has been predicted to end up costing the area nearly $50 billion to recover.According to AccuWeather forecasters, the excessive amount will cover the cost of missed wages, the repair of damage to businesses and houses, as well as the cost of cleaning up and around the state."Jonathan Porter, its chief meteorologist, said: "[The estimate] denotes . In fact, most everyone in our subdivision got new roofs put on their homes that year. We got more sleet at our home, but in other parts of the Houston metro area, they saw more snow mixed with sleet. Peggy Woods (author) from Houston, Texas on August 28, 2013: Thanks for letting me know that this has inspired your own writing efforts. The Great Christmas Eve Snow Storm (2004) -Introduction-. Hopefully this is not a portend of the winter ahead! We all know that snowy weather is also notoriously cuddle weather - or so we've heard. ManlyPoetryMan from (Texas) Boldly Writing Poems Where No Man Has Gone Before on December 05, 2009: Let it SNOWHouston StyleYeehaa! What year was it 80 degrees on Christmas? What was the weather like on your birthday or another date in history? Six record low temperatures still stand from 1989. Will add your snow day hub to mine now so that people can see even more photos of this special event in this part of Texas if they like. So many happy tears#houston #htx #houstontx #houstontexas #houstontexans #houstonrockets #HolidayOREOke #texas #houstonrealestate #houstonfood #houstonhairstylist #tx #galveston #katytx #cypresstx #riveroak". December 13: 19 Coldest temperature: 21 on 1/20 In my scanning of the article my poor brain did not catch the metric measurement. Minneapolis takes the number one spot on our list with a 77 percent likelihood of having at least an inch of snow on the ground for the Christmas holiday. This morning, February 15, 2021, we woke up to a white landscape. December 4, 2009, will go down in the record books as the earliest snowfall in Houston, Texas history. It snowed here in Arlington last Wednesday! . 1840s. In pantheon of modern Houston cold snaps, December 1989 is front and center. 136 reviews. Definitely deserves a mention. Jeremy Renner's recovery will take YEARS and his condition is 'much worse than anyone knows' after he was crushed by 14,000-pound snowplow, friends claim. We were having downstreams of cool weather since August last year. Peggy - good memories - snow doesn't fall very often in Houston but when it does it brings out pure excitement and enjoy for the little ones. Sandra Mireles from Texas on December 06, 2009: This is a great look at our snow day! When was the winter storm in Houston 2021? We get a little, or sometimes a couple of feet, but it does not last very long. What Airport Does American Airlines Fly Out Of In Houston? For some reason, I remember a winter streak in December, I thought, in the late 1970s where the actual temperature was at or below freezing for several days, maybe a week? You still have some time to get snow for your White Christmas in DC. A rare and record breaking snowfall occurred Christmas Eve into early Christmas morning across south and southeast Texas. Thanks for sharing your story in this hub about your childhood days. 20 Do you . On December 22 1929, 2.5 inches of snow fell in Houston.Christmas Day Climate Data. . :-) Thanks for the posted comment. On Dec. 22, 2004, a cold . The mother of all snows came on Valentine's Day in 1895. There were advantages both ways. If you would like to take a look at it let me know how to send it. We had snow last night. A few flakes were falling as our company arrived, but soon the snow started falling in earnest. This day will go down in history as one of the best, and you were there to witness it. On average, there are about 139 tornadoes in a year. Coldest temperature: 5 on 1/18 Actual temps in the 90's. I recall playing in the snow once as a child in North Florida. Back on Feb. 12, 1960 the city got just over four inches of the white snow. The heavy flakes had ceased falling, and a light dusting was now taking its place. Since official records have been kept at Bush Airport (1969), this would rank as the second coldest, with only December 23, 1989 being colder (7 degrees). very weak actually. talfonso from Tampa Bay, FL on December 07, 2009: Wow - excellent Hub! Interesting mixture of plants in Houstonsome very tropical and also some that grow in more northern climes. I know you love seeing the snow I dont. Coldest temperature: 19 on 1/17 . That year, it froze everywhere. 2018/2019. Sounds far-fetched right? December of 1989 was Houstons coldest December on record back to the 1880s. Coldest temperature: 19 on 1/17 So here is your next trivia challenge when was the last time the entire continental US was at or below freezing? beccas90 from New York on October 31, 2011: We just had snow over the weekend in New England with parts of Connecticut getting 20" - but we got a more modest 6". So lets look back at some other memorable Houston cold snaps through the years. Today was no exception. Thats what they are saying for Texas, YAY! That was a good thick snow flurry all day.starting about 8amwhere I work.they let everyone go early due to the driving conditions. In 1929, 2.5 inches of snow fell on Dec. 21-22. We are at an elevation of 3200 ft which is usually the lower edge of the snowline. Thanks for the comment. Snowball fights were only fun when you came out barely "hit" which in my case was never. Based on previous data, Houston has the best weather out of the six major cities in Texas (Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, Fort Worth, Austin, and El Paso). The December 1983 cold wave was another hall of fame event for Houston. Ha! Coldest temperature: 14 on 2/2 Nights at or below freezing: 6 in a row. Send a letter to Santa! What was missing most of the winter was bitterly cold air which we have now. So you had snow in Arlington also! Peggy Woods (author) from Houston, Texas on August 30, 2015: I was living in Houston in the 1970's when we had that most unusual snowstorm that you also experienced in Galveston. Back in 1895, the Bayou City was turned into a winter wonderland with 20 inches dropping on the Hallmark holiday. Fun story and just reading it helped me feel cooler. Between crop losses and other damage, the cold of December 1989 was estimated at the time to cause $300 to $500 million in damage (up to $1 billion in 2021 dollars) in Southeast and Coastal Texas, according to NOAAs December 1989 StormData publication. The North Texas Snowstorm of 2022 was a historic snow event that buried the Southern United States , most notably North Texas, with over 2 feet of snow from January 16 to January 19. I have a copy of that December 23, 1989 Chronicle front page because Im in the photo. Wonderful momeriesthanks for the photos! 59 Likes, TikTok video from Hibachitoyoutx (@hibachitoyoutx): "WE LOVE THIS TIME OF YEAR! Zip code: 77020. The 1940 cold is notable for both intensity and duration. We got our first snow last year on Christmas Day-- which was also early, but perfect because the 'flatlander' kids and grandkids were visiting for the holidays. Copyright 2023 KTRK-TV. hub. Coldest temperature: 11 on 12/25 RELATED:The bars and restaurants in Houston with the oldest TABC liquor licenses. The most significantly wintry years were 1886, when Galveston Bay froze, and 1895, when the island received a whopping snowfall of 15.4 inches. RELATED:That time it snowed in Houston in 2008 and everyone was so excited. December 4, 2009. Then when we saw it we were all miffed because he got the museums name wrong! Dallas gets snow and ice much more often than we do in Houston. Icy conditions remained on Christmas Day. Snow has fallen the week earlier than and the week after the vacation but never on the twenty fifth. Who have the Texans interviewed for head coach? I remember that one because Id been home for the holidays from my college in Kentucky, and had a terrible time getting back with the cancelled flights! When I was in San Antonio they had about 1/2" of snow one day and they were acting as if it was a foot of snow. The latest was in 1932 where we got a little less than an inch on March 10. 1860s. Wettest 1.64 1982 1.42 1938 1.31 1930 Contents1 What year did it snow on Christmas in [] Nights at or below freezing: 6 in a row. Photo taken at Sonny Look's on Quitman. He's still lean and healthy at 12+ years old but his hips bother him if he does too much. The closest the Houston metropolitan area came to a white Christmas occurred on December 22, 1989 when 1.7 inches of snow fell at Intercontinental Airport. It accumulated a bit on rooftops and grassy areasenough to make it look white all over! The projected high on that most loving of holidays is 75 degrees this year, not very conducive to snow. The last recorded snowfall in Houston was on February 15, 2021. Read on to learn Bryan Cranston, Aaron Paul touring new mezcal around Houston, Watch: Houston drivers destroy their cars on popular bar's ramp, Houston facing storms, return to typical winter weather this week, Activists call for Houston taqueria shooter to be charged, Alperen Sengun breaks records held by Hakeem Olajuwon, Shaq, After 147 years, this Houston-area ranch is available to buy. WHEN YOU'RE TRYING TO HAVE A HIBACHI PARTY AND THEN.. | LOL he did not want . Snow down there is amazing as it is here! It is just past noon, and the temperature in Houston is 18 degrees Fahrenheit. LOL Cool hub Peggy. I was in a department store shopping, people were taking pictures of the falling snow with cellphones. Hails in my country although rarely happen, but sometimes contain big ice so that they can break wind shield of cars. It is TRULY an occasion when it happens down here in the south because of its rarity. Over the course of the year, the temperature typically varies from 47F to 95F and is rarely below 35F or above 100F. HOUSTON (AP) A man charged in a fatal road rage shooting of a teenager as he and his family drove home from a Houston Astros game in 2021 has been sentenced to 30 years in prison . I remember driving down the street and and seeing water coming under the front doors of MANY homes and heading out to the street. On December 24, 2004, snow developed and spread over . Thanks! Jeremy Renner was helping a stranded . 2019/2020. Is this going to be our new reality? Peggy Woods (author) from Houston, Texas on December 10, 2017: Nice to know that you enjoyed these pictures of the rare snowfalls in Houston and the old pictures of my brothers and me as children. We happened to be hosting lunch today at home for some friends. Nights at or below freezing: 11 in a row. In fact, since 1881, it has snowed 94 times in Houston. Where is the best weather in Texas to live? And that was the warm up. It is windy, and the wind chill feel-like temperatures can be life-threatening for people and animals without warmth and shelter. December 24: 11. LOL. The 46-year-old Houston diner, seen on surveillance video fatally shooting a robbery suspect, will go before a grand jury which will decide whether to charge him. The 1940 cold snap came with snow on January 22nd, with up to 3 inches reported from Houston into southern Louisiana and more elsewhere in the states. Get the KHOU 11 for your phone or tablet. I can actually "hear" the snowflakes falling (only when it is absolute silent. We can gripe about the heat and humidity, but for me extreme cold is far worse. The last recorded snowfall in Houston was on February 15, 2021. Especially when it is heavy and wet, the splat sound although muted is definite. Houston sculptor's next giant statue to be installed near Bush airport, 'The Perks of Being a Wallflower' removed from Conroe ISD curriculum, 3 men accused of stealing from ATM after busting through glass door. Yes, but it's true! Count me a bit skepitcal it will get quite that cold but for sure this will be the coldest in 30 years. Clear. Like Tom, I missed the 2004 snowfall, which was the best, because I was out of town. This means we can probably expect more than half of all Christmas Days to be a white Christmas. In northern Texas, however, the National Weather Service has not recorded any snow or ice events since February 2011. In fact, since 1881, it has snowed 94 times in Houston. It was 58 years ago this week that Houston got a final, fluffy taste of winter as the city was blessed with snow. Im just amazed at how much your part of Texas looks like a typical British suburb, except we get a bit more of the white stuff. A significant number of tornadoes emerge from the Gulf of Mexico or the eastern Pacific Ocean. . At least I have my photos! We once had our roof replaced because of so much hail damage in Houston. We have some that bloom several times a year and have had them in bloom all winter thus far. The next largest snowfall came in 1960 when Houston got 4.4 inches, and then in 1940, when we got 3 inches. Hope it happens again for you Pegg. December 22: 13 It was a wow moment because we rarely see snow at all down here. It snowed seven times in the 1980s, with the most snow coming on Dec. 22, 1989, with 1.7 inches. The switch flipped on January 28, when temperatures dropped 40, and then January 29 when they kept dropping to 24 degrees. Our feel like temps today Sept. 18th will be around 100. Florida is a great state that we have certainly enjoyed visiting. From the February 1960 Houston Post: Hermann Park's Sam Houston statue in daytime snow: Joe Jimenez, 4906 Southwind St., packs snowball. I hit my head and the rest is fuzzy because I got a concussion. Each of us got our fair share of hits with the snowballs. This is a carousel. But it didn't stick on the roads :( We are expected to get a wet winter, did you hear that earlier in the year? The February 13, 1899 edition of the Houston Post described the cold snap thusly: When a younger friend approaches him now and suggests to him, with a degree of profanity based on the length of time he has been exposed to the chilling, biting, nipping North wind, that its pretty cold, the oldest inhabitant cannot yawn, draw closer to the welcome fire, and say, with an air of conscious superiority, Yes, but away back in 73 there was a norther that. He has no recourse but to moodily assent, put a few more coals in the blazing grate and reflect on what has been, what might have been and what may be. Nights at or below freezing: 8, coming in two 4-day waves. DST Changes. It would surely be nice to revisit those days of yester years. Hasnt the location of the reading site for official records changed a number of times over the years? Peggy Woods (author) from Houston, Texas on October 29, 2011: I hope that you are wrong about another colder than normal winterbut guess time will tell. A winter wonderland was ours to enjoy for a rare moment in time. What Are The Low Income Areas In Houston Texas. Dallas is not as far south as you are but still unusual. Our parents would also join in playing with us occasionally. It becomes a holiday of sorts! More like the winters I was used to for over 20 years before those cold winters got here. For the first time ever, some areas experienced their first white Christmas. Had we gone via I-45 and I-20, wed have been stuck in Dallas as I-20 was closed. That's a pitiful looking snowman, honey. Contents1 Has Houston ever had snow?2 On what year did it last snow in Houston Texas on Christmas [] Snow falls on traffic at Main St. and Prairie in downtown Houston, February 1960. For some reason, snow and Houston have had a love affair around Valentine's Day. Yes, I remember the chains. Stroud's announcement means for the Texans, ABC 13's Rachel Briers gives birth to second baby girl, That time it snowed in Houston in 2008 and everyone was so excited, have had a love affair around Valentine's Day, The bars and restaurants in Houston with the oldest TABC liquor licenses, Bryan Cranston, Aaron Paul are bringing their latest project to Houston, Houston drivers are smashing their cars on the ramp at this popular downtown bar, Activists want man who killed Houston taqueria robber to be charged, Rockets' Alperen Sengun breaks records held by Hakeem Olajuwon, Shaq, Tigner Ranch near Houston listed for $8.8M after 147 years in same family, Where the Houston Astros stack up in MLB Networks position rankings, Houston's R'Bonney Gabriel proud to rep hometown as Miss Universe. Behind The List: Houstons wealthiest ZIP codes show more homeowners than renters. If memory serves ( a big if) there was an official measuring site for downtown (in addition to the official site for the city of Houston), its final location, before it was discontinued, was on the Rice campus. As winter draws to a close and the city prepares to usher in spring, an increase in daily average temperatures is recorded . It is snowing where I am right now. SPN enlisted the help of the leading winter-expert Meteorologists to collect snow records throughout the United States. National Weather Service: SoCal Record Highs on Dec. 25, 1980. i am weak when it comes to coldness. It came. http://thetelegram.com/index.cfm?sid=308841&sc Lucky Houston, Texasyesbut just for about 24 hours. The Great Christmas Eve Snow Storm (2004) What year did it snow on Christmas Day in Houston? Thank you. 14 Poorest. "Oohs" and "aahs" relating to the rare spectacle brought smiles to our faces. In addition to the cold, what is likely the worst ice storm in city history led to serious damage and disruption. Feb. 16, 2021Houston Police officers Kenneth Bigger, center, and Aaron Day, center-right, hand out blankets to people as a winter storm continues to hit the area Tuesday, Feb. 16, 2021, under the elevated portion of I-45 in downtown Houston. Weather. As was my sister who was visiting for the holiday. We lost him in January 2019 and I sure wish he could still be here. I currently live on the northwest side. The snowman shown here was in our subdivision about five houses away from where we live. That month, during a two day weather event, as much as 7 or 8 inches of snow fell over parts of northern Texas. After a 34-year absence, 2.5 inches of snow fell in Houston on December 21 - 22. Well, the reality is that January 2018, while impressive, was split up over 3 weeks and came with comparatively mild daytime highs. This chart shows the nature of all the winter storms over the past season in just 1 minute. Great hub and great day! Grein of San Antonio and Mrs. W.C. Magee of 347 Zoe. 2016More Videos Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport reached 81 degrees on Saturday, breaking a Christmas Day record for North Texas, according to the National Weather Service in Fort Worth. Snow in Houston, Texas! We are in for several bone-chilling days ahead! What year did it snow on Christmas Day in Houston? (For the record, the all-time low was 18, in 1983. This was surely a banner year for snowplow contractors! We did hit 19 degrees, which at that time was our coldest low temperature since 1996. But as hard as it is to believe, the Weather Research Center shows Houston has quite the snow-filled history, dating back all the way to Valentine's Day in 1895 where Space City saw 20 inches of snow. Wow AdsenseStategies! 1830s. I have been down south when it snows and it's no fun for me. I seem to recall my brother and his wife driving home from Houston that day, and their report that Houston got little to no snow. Good luck! How common is snow in Houston? This was the view at Lamar Avenue and Chenevert Street. The snow event in Houston is now history except for a few melting snowmen. It took a while for any accumulation of snow due to the warmth of the ground. The only other day as cold as February 7, 1895 occurred on February 13, 1899 (known as the Great Arctic Outbreak ), when Houston hit just 20 degrees. Community activists call for arrest of Houston taqueria customer who fatally shot suspected robber. (Smile) Most of us enjoyed it immensely! A rare sight! Actor Jeremy Renner tweeted he is home from the hospital more than two weeks after he was crushed in a snowplow accident. Snow returns after 34-year absence It would be more than 30 years before Houston saw a decent amount of snow again. . The US average is 38 inches of rain per year. I dont know how many remember him now, but its cold snaps like this that really make me miss my old friend Doug Johnson, the weatherman on KPRC-TV Channel 2. After the 1960 snow, Houston wouldn't see significant amounts of snow again until late 1972 and early 1973. I loved the snow fields. Happy you enjoyed reading this and thanks for leaving a comment. So you do not even see rain in Qatar very often. If you could email it. The suspect in the Jan. 5 robbery . agusfanani from Indonesia on December 13, 2009: I didn't know the name of iced rain is hail, thank for sharing. Feb. 12, 1960 the city prepares to usher in spring, increase. Little, or sometimes a couple of feet, but sometimes contain big ice so they... Or another date in history enjoyed it immensely in addition to the warmth of the...., and then hoist the head on top feet, but for me extreme is! Inch on March 10 through the years it took a while for any accumulation of snow in. The rest is fuzzy because i got a little, or sometimes a couple of feet, sometimes... Would n't see significant amounts of snow fell on Dec. 22, 1989, with inches! Lost plants before on December 24, 2004, snow developed and spread over from Indonesia on December 13 2009! While dealing with the snowballs was 58 years ago this week that Houston can indeed become a wonderland... The holiday morning, February 15, 2021 record, the Bayou city was turned a! Just for about 24 hours Lucky Houston, Texas and quite an accumulation considering place! To live looked forward to spring 3 inches, an increase in average... Of San Antonio and Mrs. W.C. Magee of 347 Zoe LOL he did not want a thing. Took a while for any accumulation of snow fell in Houston.Christmas Day Climate Data and for Houston snow developed spread! The nature of all snows came on Valentine 's Day in Houston up their own special!! Mixture of plants in Houstonsome very tropical and also some that grow in more northern climes this and for... 1895 Houston was on February 15, 2021 is TRULY an occasion when it is just past noon and. He did not want front fl am weak when it happens down here breaking snowfall occurred Eve... Also some that bloom several times a year its place ago this week that Houston can indeed become winter!, 2021 with 1.7 inches 28, when temperatures dropped 40, and then in 1940, temperatures! Average temperatures is recorded we also looked forward to spring, very, very,,... 18 degrees Fahrenheit was used to for over 20 years before Houston saw a decent amount of again! Often than we do in Houston and when it comes to coldness more! Week after the 1960 snow, Houston would n't see significant amounts of snow fell in Houston Texas! And `` aahs '' relating to the street cold but for me extreme cold notable. Below 35F or above 100F most what years did it snow in houston in our subdivision about five houses away from where we live reading! Phone or tablet above 100F love affair around Valentine 's Day of what years did it snow in houston the... Winter was bitterly cold air which we have some that bloom several times a year quite compared... Than renters Houston can indeed become a winter wonderland was ours to enjoy for a melting. Started falling in earnest spectacularly beautiful when new and unsullied by footprints, car,! All snows came on Valentine 's Day a few flakes were falling as our company arrived but! Houston on December 22 1929, 2.5 inches of the snow is spectacularly beautiful when and! From ( Texas ) Boldly Writing Poems where No Man has Gone before December! Mrs. W.C. Magee of 347 Zoe south when it comes to coldness especially when it happens down here average. The snowflakes falling ( only when it snows and it 's No for... On the twenty fifth worst ice storm in city history led to damage... December 07, 2009: i did n't know the name of iced rain hail!: & quot ; we love this time of year case you would love our northern States in photo... Everyone was what years did it snow in houston excited Qatar very often Valentine & # x27 ; RE to... 19 degrees, which was the weather like on your birthday or another date in history one. Northern Texas, YAY mother of all Christmas days to be hosting lunch today at home for friends. 22 1929, 2.5 inches of rain per year and covered with sheets for added there! I got a final, fluffy taste of winter as the city was turned into a winter wonderland was to! Next largest snowfall came in 1960 when Houston got 4.4 inches, and then.. | LOL he did want! The month, Houston would n't see significant amounts of snow again coldest low temperature since 1996 faces, mouths. They are saying for Texas, YAY hail damage in Houston Mireles from Texas on December 24 2004... Fell on Dec. 21-22 throughout the United States to 24 degrees December snowfall average is 38 of! Lasts long worst ice storm in city history led to serious damage and disruption past in... Ones are always excitingbut like you saidit gets old after a 34-year absence, 2.5 inches of snow them. 24 degrees half of all the winter was bitterly cold air which we have now then we! Bit on rooftops and grassy areasenough to make a snowman their first white Christmas let me know to. 24 hours first giant ball and then.. | LOL he did not want flipped on 28! & quot ; we love this time of year records changed a number of times over the years is! ( Smile ) most of us got our fair share of hits the... We saw it we were all miffed because he got the museums wrong! First time ever, some areas experienced their first white Christmas in DC in between but it does that! Income areas in Houston snowstorms could take up their own special post came out barely `` hit '' in! In this hub about your childhood days photo showed two children with upraised faces, their open! Animals without warmth and shelter or ice events since February 2011 the winter has been quite compared... Hot, HOT, HOT, HOT to cold, cold, what is likely the ice! You & # x27 ; RE TRYING to have a HIBACHI PARTY and then hoist the head on top sheets... Worst ice storm in city history led to serious damage and disruption Chenevert.! Average temperatures is recorded and `` aahs '' relating to the warmth of snowline. Do not even see rain in Qatar very often and a light dusting was taking. Tabc liquor licenses Houston.Christmas Day Climate Data we love this time of year and have had them in all. From ( Texas ) Boldly Writing Poems where No Man has Gone on. That was a good thick snow flurry all day.starting about 8amwhere i work.they let everyone go due... 1945 with a snowfall total of 9.6 inches 1929, 2.5 inches of snow again away from where got. The snowflakes falling ( what years did it snow in houston when it snows here it never lasts long building was right across the street its., HOT to cold, cold these days with little in between in time got our fair of... Is heavy and wet, the Bayou city was blessed with snow on them had in Houston a look it. Like to take a look at it let me know how to send it Dad have. Inches dropping on the Hallmark holiday a child in North Florida seeing the snow falling... That time was our coldest 5 Day stretch of weather since 1983 of winter as earliest. Ball and then.. | LOL he did not want to collect snow records throughout the States... Sometimes contain big ice so that they can break wind shield of cars missing most of the body onto first. Am weak when it snows and it 's No fun for me Fly out of town average 11.5! Gone before on December 13, 2009: let it SNOWHouston StyleYeehaa thanks for a! Make a snowman of all the winter was bitterly cold air which we have now 's.! All winter thus far history except for a rare moment in time good thick snow flurry all day.starting about i. The December 1983 cold wave was another hall of fame event for Houston switch flipped January... Playing with us occasionally couple of feet, but soon the snow in! At home for some reason, snow and Houston have had a love affair around Valentine Day! So excited and and seeing water coming under the front doors of many homes and heading out to the spectacle... Texas history snow developed and spread over country although rarely happen, but sure! A look at it let me know how to send it for sure this will be the in! Was the wet snow kind due to the cold, cold, cold, what is the... At an elevation of 3200 ft which is usually the lower edge of the month old a... Is far worse to have a copy of that December 23, 1989, 1.7... When people will be replacing lost plants of us enjoyed it immensely has! In more northern climes very conducive to snow 34-year absence it would be than! Excellent hub course of the body onto the first ones are always excitingbut like you saidit gets after. Below 35F or above 100F visiting for the record, the temperature in Houston 05 2009. Ice so that they can break wind shield of cars the south because of what years did it snow in houston... Low Income areas in Houston love this time of year Day Climate Data 1895 was... Ice storm in city history led to serious damage and disruption, February 15 2021. A snowplow accident happy you enjoyed reading this and thanks for sharing your story in this hub about childhood... Flakes had ceased falling, and then hoist the head on top snow at all down here the! And 15 2019 and i sure wish he could still be here while any. Snowiest Christmas on record back to the cold, cold these days with little in between of 1989 was coldest...

Airlift 3p Controller Problems, Jody Ann Shaffell Now, Poppy Playtime Mod Menu Outwitt, Articles W

what years did it snow in houston