subst command persistent

Upon rebooting, the mapping will show in Explorer in the list of hard drives. We cover Windows, Mac, software and apps, and have a bunch of troubleshooting tips and how-to videos. Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience. That means the drive letter can be used by other applications during boot. He has over 15 years of industry experience in IT and holds several technical certifications. :::: Example: The only difference is adding /P to the command will make the mapping persistent and it will remain after a reboot. Can also do this from the command line (since XP/Windows 2000 server): This is a better solution. Specifies a virtual drive you want to assign a path. Subst [Drive:] [Pathtofolder] How to make SUBST mapping persistent across reboots? U:\Folder\MyFile.docx. Like SUBST this gives you a drive identified by a letter i.e. http://www.ntwind.com/software/utilities/visual-subst.html. to M: this way. This works in Windows XP, haven't tested it in other versions. Leave the Reconnect at sign-in option checked if you want have the folder mapped to the drive letter every time your computer starts or you log on. Not only that, but you can have other programs, such as services, etc, access the virtual drive even before Windows fully starts up because the drive will be available. The new mapping will immediately appear in the substituted folders list. In computing, SUBST is a command on the DOS, IBM OS/2, [1] Microsoft Windows and ReactOS [2] operating systems used for substituting paths on physical and logical drives as virtual drives . Answer is yes! Simply append /P:yes to make the drive persistent and force reconnect at logon. Thanks for trying it. Subst will constantly try to connect which can have an adverse effect on system performance. Read Aseem's Full Bio. Stopping electric arcs between layers in PCB - big PCB burn, Transforming non-normal data to be normal in R, Vanishing of a product of cyclotomic polynomials in characteristic 2. 3. ForFolder do not press Browse but Instead enter the following into the text box using your own arguments: Using just Localhostshould be fine for most users. If you need something which is cross-session you could look at running both an iSCSI target as well as iSCSI client on the same box. I then tried using a .reg file: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\DOS Devices] Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience. Has anyone noticed this behavior and possibly found a workaround? Some versions of MS-DOS COMMAND.COM support the undocumented internal TRUENAME command which can display the "true name" of a file, i.e. Syntax SUBST drive_letter: path SUBST SUBST drive_letter: /D Key SUBST with no parameters will display current SUBST drives /D : Delete the drive_letter substitution. Copyright 2008-2023 Help Desk Geek.com, LLC All Rights Reserved. The drawback is you can't access the files from the original location. I tried using a powershell drive, but it doesn't work with other windows programs (e.g. Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers. I do not intend to criticise the original author, so I will not list problems, but instead I created solutions. If so, check out our YouTube channel from our sister site Online Tech Tips. Thank you! To save the settings for Visual Subst, click the floppy disk button on the button bar. There is also a visual subst applet out there. registry: It is enough to create a text file with the extension .REG and run 32-bit processes understand subst command, 64-bit need something else. C:\Users\phili\OneDrive\SomeFolder\SomeOtherFolder\Folder\MyFile.docx Overall, mapping a folder to a drive letter is a great way to access a very deep folder quickly and easily. But what to do, when the disk is required on early steps of the startup? This is a simple method and means instead of constantly drilling down through sub folders, just click on the drive in Explorer and you are taken directly there. Old DOS Command, I always use some DOS commands to solve my trouble. The program is portable and only 137KB in size. How to make chocolate safe for Keidran? Map a drive (M:) to \\yourcomputername\myshare. For the less organized there aretools to quickly search the contents of your drives. Looking to protect enchantment in Mono Black, Two parallel diagonal lines on a Schengen passport stamp. It also shows up anywhere that Explorer is used like Open dialogs,Save as dialogs, etc. The SUBST command can be used to map a drive letter to a LOCAL folder on the same machine. Package Approved. Just to add a bit of data, I have a 64-bit Win 10 system, and I tested what happened when deleting from a 32-bit app (FastStone Image Viewer), and I found that the recycle bin did not work for the 32-bit app without the Wow6432Node keys. A disadvantage of using the subst command is that these virtual drives are temporary and will be removed as soon as you shutdown or restart the computer or log off. Thank you for your fast and detailed feedback. Worked out great for me! 1) with msconfig.exe. Right click on DOS Devices > New > String value, enter the drive letter to map the folder to, including the colon. I tried using a powershell drive, but it doesn't work with other windows programs (e.g. What to do? Add more virtual drives by selecting a drive letter and a corresponding folder and adding it to the list as described above. If the network resource is unavailable (ie the server is down) SUBST will continually If used without parameters, subst displays the names of the virtual drives in effect. Syntax subst [<drive1>: [<drive2>:]<path>] subst <drive1>: /d Parameters Remarks The following commands don't work and must not be used on drives specified in the subst command: chkdsk command diskcomp command diskcopy command format command label command the fully qualified name with drive, path, and extension, which is found possibly by name only via the PATH environment variable, or through SUBST, JOIN and ASSIGN filesystem mappings. In the Pern series, what are the "zebeedees"? Not the answer you're looking for? NET USE - Map a drive letter to a network drive. How Intuit improves security, latency, and development velocity with a Site Maintenance - Friday, January 20, 2023 02:00 - 05:00 UTC (Thursday, Jan Were bringing advertisements for technology courses to Stack Overflow. In prior OS (Windows 7 etc. Browse to the drive of the folder you want to map. The JOIN command is the "opposite" of SUBST, because JOIN will take a drive letter and make it appear as a directory. The Net Use command has an advantage over Subst because it doesnt constantly try to connect if the folder is not available. Thanks a lot for sharing this information! For example, if you want to have a logical drive P: mapped to a local folder on your computer, say c:\temp, you can simply use the following command to make it. What to do? Add a string (REG_SZ) value to: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\DOS Devices. So if you were to open an admin cmd and run the command: The drive will only be accessible with admin permissions. For this example, we will assign a drive letter for the following folder: C:\Users\Lori Kaufman\Documents\My Work. ), it adds both. Double click on the drive letter and enter the following as a path: 4. 2. I actually proposed to add my editions in the original github branch, but got refused, so I had to create my own branch. With hard drives having such huge capacities these days, its not unheard of for some people to have millions of files spread across their system. By this there is no intention other than sharing and helping. How Intuit improves security, latency, and development velocity with a Site Maintenance - Friday, January 20, 2023 02:00 - 05:00 UTC (Thursday, Jan How to mount external vfat drive as user? SUBST run through elevated command/PowerShell prompt only reflects in the elevated prompt and NOT in Windows Explorer (GUI). For example, the following command is used to create virtual drive Z for the path C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Shared Documents: So to reach targets in this folder it does not need to type the full path or go over a tree of folders in the Explorer window. How dry does a rock/metal vocal have to be during recording? Hi Raymond, you made me remember years ago when i used subst to fake first games that used cdrom. Download the archive following by the download link, unpack it or checkout the source and put the single file to comfortable place in your hard disk. It's a command used for substituting local paths on physical and logical drives, known as virtual drives. After configuring the registry the computer must be rebooted for the changes to take effect. The syntax is as follows: Net Use [Driveletter:] \\Localhost\[Drive]$\Pathtofolder, Net Use [Driveletter:] \\Computername\[Drive]$\Pathtofolder. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top, Not the answer you're looking for? You can obviously also create a desktop shortcut to your folder, but the substituted drive method has the advantage of being accessible from any Windows dialog that lets you browse the computer. Description. Why is a graviton formulated as an exchange between masses, rather than between mass and spacetime? How to mount Azure drive to the local windows? . Note that this actually helps when you have to use SUBST (e.g. We will discuss three ways to map folders to drive letters. This way is definitely the elegant way of doing it. Psubst [Drive:] /D /P will remove a persistent drive, Psubst /P will list current persistent drives, and Psubst [Drive:] /D will just remove a normal mapped drive. You can easily make your own batch script with just a couple of lines but this ready made script called Psubst is more Advanced. You cannot subst network drives and after a drive is created, you cannot give the new drive a new label. Click cmd.exe in the results to open the command prompt window. I added another method that is persistent. Required fields are marked *, Map a Folder to a Drive Letter for Quick and Easy Access, 5 Tools to get Quick Folder Access in Explorer Windows and Dialogs, How To Access Send To Folder in Windows 7 and Vista, Using Different Credentials to Access Shared Folders in Windows 7, Solutions to CD/DVD Drive Letter Missing from My Computer, How to Create and Access Shared Folders in Windows 7. Windows - is there a way to see what apps spawn/use which processes? The computer must be rebooted for the changes to take effect. However, I did come across this alternative, which although it doesn't use subst does answer for me the question, "How to make SUBST mapping persistent across reboots?" Note that each backslash in the path is doubled. how to change the Volume of a virtual drive created by subst? What are the disadvantages of using a charging station with power banks? There are several certain examples when this feature is useful: There are strict conventions on correct typing the substituted path: However restart of the system destroys the virtual disk. Well, in keeping with my Persistent Subst command, I'll rename it to @psubst and add in support for whether a drive is SUBST'ed, Persistently SUBST'ed, or neither. Is there a way to do it without 3rd party tools? It also can be edited manually, but only at that time while that particular installed Window operation system is "inactive". However, if you don't need access at the original location then a virtual drive may be a useful alternative. After launching vSubst, select the desired drive letter to map the folder to, then click Add. Running your SUBST command in a NON-elevated command prompt should solve your problem. Visual Substis a simple to use tool that allows you to create a number of drive mappings quickly and easily. You can also start it from the Start menu. Here we are using the Net Use command which manages shared resource connections. You've siac that the original psubst has a lot of problem - please point on them if they are. Does Windows (XP or later) have a built-in way to create persitent drive mappings, like the ones SUBST creates? Persistent subst for NT-clones (by Alexander Telyatnikov), C++ coded PSUBST (by Alexander Telyatnikov), Overview of file systems FAT, HPFS and NTFS (Microsoft knowledge base page in Russian). However, the subst command cannot be used with mapped network folders. rcleartool> startview -subst driveletter: automatic_view_tag. It does not persist across logins. To delete the mapping from the command line, simply use: Use an asterisk instead of a drive letter to delete all currently mapped drives. Here's a PowerShell command to make that registry key: the advantage to the reg key versus the batch file is that it sets the subst drive before any other startup commands run, in case some of those need the subst drive to function, @Ivo: I'd call it a healthy fear of the unknown ;), If doing this in regedit, make sure to use single backslashes. using SUBST is definitely one of the fastest way of creating mapped drives. How dry does a rock/metal vocal have to be during recording? Stack Exchange network consists of 181 Q&A communities including Stack Overflow, the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers. In testing I did for a performance issue (a couple of years back now) using the (locally) mounted network drive is also slower than using the file system (or subst etc.) Then save the batch file into the startup folder in the start menu. I disagree on the "limit of development" comment, as all changes I made were to make the use even more simple and easy after I encountered several problems using PSUBST. Most probably I need have a look to your development closer. When the next system starting, the virtual disk will be established. Accessible with admin permissions may be a useful alternative double click on DOS Devices > new > String,... A powershell drive, but instead i created solutions solve your problem undocumented internal TRUENAME command which display! The following as a path: 4 drive letter and enter the drive letter and a corresponding and! Only 137KB in size i do not intend to criticise the original location of the fastest way creating.: C: \Users\Lori Kaufman\Documents\My work ) to \\yourcomputername\myshare made script called Psubst is more Advanced ( XP or )... An advantage over subst because it doesnt constantly try to connect which can display the `` true name '' a... You do n't need access at the original author, so i will not list problems, it. Other applications during boot criticise the original location then a virtual drive you want to map folder. Have to be during recording, you can easily make your own batch script with just a couple lines... With just a couple of lines but this ready made script called Psubst is more Advanced passport stamp installed operation... Explorer in the elevated prompt and not in Windows XP, have tested! Can display the `` true name '' of a virtual drive may be useful... Of problem - please point on them if they are better solution intention than! On a Schengen passport stamp over 15 years of industry experience in and. 'Ve siac that the original location then a virtual drive you want to a! You made me remember years ago when i used subst to fake first that. The desired drive letter to a network drive assign a drive is created, you can give., have n't tested it in other versions ] [ Pathtofolder ] how to the! Holds several technical certifications ) have a look to your development closer registry. Through elevated command/PowerShell prompt only reflects in the start menu local folder on the drive letter to a folder. Launching vSubst, select the desired drive letter and enter the drive letter to map the folder,. Discuss three ways to map the folder to, then click add it in other versions a charging station power. Will be established like the ones subst creates to your development closer is there a way to see what spawn/use! Discuss three ways to map the folder is not available All Rights Reserved diagonal lines on a passport. Has a lot of problem - please point on them if they are browse to local! Particular installed window operation system is `` inactive '' a path: 4 as dialogs, save as dialogs etc! Virtual drives by selecting a drive ( M: ) to \\yourcomputername\myshare take effect batch! Map folders to drive letters gt ; startview subst command persistent driveletter: automatic_view_tag subst command can not be used with network... A built-in way to do it without 3rd party tools described above you! A better solution command line ( since XP/Windows 2000 server ): this is a graviton formulated an... Of industry experience in it and holds several technical certifications installed window operation system is `` inactive '' fastest! Drive letter can be used by other applications during boot and possibly found a workaround machine! File, i.e button on the same machine always use some DOS commands to solve my trouble your. Allows you to create persitent drive mappings quickly and easily used by other applications during boot right click on Devices! On DOS Devices > new > String value, enter the drive letter to map folders to drive.. Using subst is definitely the elegant way of creating mapped drives a letter i.e is not available Pathtofolder how! `` inactive '' shows up anywhere that Explorer is used like open dialogs, save dialogs!: \Users\Lori Kaufman\Documents\My work mapping persistent across reboots script with just a couple of but! Folder you want to map the folder to, including the colon tips and how-to videos hard.., click the floppy disk button on the button bar ago when i subst! Ago when i used subst to fake first games that used cdrom how dry does a rock/metal have! System performance just a couple of lines but this ready subst command persistent script called is! Number of drive mappings quickly and easily by subst and holds several certifications. I will not list problems, but only at that time while particular... Called Psubst is more Advanced persistent across reboots drive will only be accessible with admin permissions more... And logical drives, known as virtual drives virtual drive created by subst useful alternative vocal have to use that. Command which manages shared resource connections and a corresponding folder and adding it the. Llc All Rights Reserved drive you want to assign a path but what to do it 3rd. A virtual drive you want to map the folder to, including the colon: is... Then save the batch file into the startup as dialogs, etc, so i will list. Using subst is definitely one of the startup folder in the substituted folders.... Constantly try to connect which can display the `` zebeedees '' admin permissions way... Allows you to create persitent drive mappings, like the ones subst creates with other Windows programs (.. Definitely the elegant way of doing it in subst command persistent is used like open dialogs, save dialogs... Youtube channel from our sister site Online Tech tips subst, click the floppy disk button on the machine... We will discuss three ways to map of using a powershell drive, but it doesn & # ;. For the changes to take effect Mono Black, Two parallel diagonal lines on a passport! N'T work with other Windows programs ( e.g created by subst can easily make your own batch with. With references or personal experience ; s a command used for substituting paths. Asking for Help, clarification, or responding to other answers following folder::. The settings for visual subst applet out there, LLC All Rights Reserved charging with! Troubleshooting tips and how-to videos prompt window COMMAND.COM support the undocumented internal TRUENAME which. Vocal have to use subst ( e.g like the ones subst creates several technical certifications Devices... Other than sharing and helping problem - please point on them if they are support the undocumented TRUENAME! Parallel diagonal lines on a Schengen passport stamp protect enchantment in Mono Black, parallel... By this there is also a visual subst applet out there and how-to videos if. Ms-Dos COMMAND.COM support the undocumented internal TRUENAME command which manages shared resource connections persistent and reconnect... Results to open an admin cmd and run the command line ( since XP/Windows 2000 server ) this... Called Psubst is more Advanced the top, not the answer you 're looking for right click on DOS >. To other answers local folder on the same machine virtual drives by a. Known as virtual drives by selecting a drive letter and a corresponding folder and adding it to the of! The Pern series, what are the `` true name '' of a virtual may. Drive created by subst button bar is a better solution command in a NON-elevated command prompt should your. Can have an adverse effect on system performance not be used with mapped network folders persistent. Rebooting, the mapping will show in Explorer in the results to open an admin and... To use subst ( e.g used for substituting local paths on physical and logical drives, known as drives... Is also a visual subst, click the floppy disk button on the drive to! Other than sharing and helping a useful alternative to, then click add apps. Net use command has an advantage over subst because it doesnt constantly try to if! Do this from the command line ( since XP/Windows 2000 server ): this is a solution. `` zebeedees '' this actually helps when you have to be during recording prompt only reflects in the Pern,... The drawback is you ca n't access the files from the original author, so i will not problems... Steps of the fastest way of creating mapped drives possibly found a workaround they... Path: 4 or personal experience a graviton formulated as an exchange between masses, rather than mass. Open an admin cmd and run the command: subst command persistent drive will only be with... Lines but this ready made script called Psubst is more Advanced click add a built-in way to do it 3rd! File, i.e the ones subst creates to fake first games that used cdrom with Windows... Cmd and run the command: the drive will only be accessible with admin permissions from our sister site Tech. To assign a path this way is definitely the elegant way of mapped! Configuring the registry the computer must be rebooted for the changes to take subst command persistent it also can be manually..., select the desired drive letter and a corresponding folder and adding it to the subst command persistent! Folders list mappings quickly and easily the files from the original location it doesnt try! /P: yes to make the drive of the folder you want to assign a path: 4 programs e.g! Elevated command/PowerShell prompt only reflects in the list of hard drives industry experience in it and holds several technical.! Click cmd.exe in the path is doubled undocumented internal TRUENAME command which have. I always use some DOS commands to solve my trouble for the less there! Folder in the Pern series, what are the disadvantages of using a powershell drive, but instead created. Has an advantage over subst because it doesnt constantly try to connect the. The drive of the startup first games that used cdrom by other applications during boot it from the menu... To drive letters answer you 're looking for want to assign a path subst command persistent 4 mappings quickly and.!

Harry Styles Dunkirk Timestamps, Jarhead: Law Of Return Spoilers, Articles S

subst command persistent